Troll [trohl] n.
An internet user who sends inflammatory or provocative messages designed to elicit negative responses or start a flame-war. (As a fisherman trolls for an unsuspecting fish.) : Don't answer those silly messages. Some troll is just looking for an argument.
So tonight I talked to one of my old, old friends on the online MMO game Runescape for the first time in years. Apparently, 'cause I don’t remember this, I had invited him to be part of my gaming clan and join its forum ages ago, when he was eleven or something (he’s turning sixteen in October now). Well, I vaguely remember this event, not to mention him, but that’s the first thing he mentioned when he messaged me in surprise, seeing I was online when he logged in briefly. So after discussing just how long ago it was, he tells me very frankly that he is now a troll.
I mean come on, is that something that you just announce to people?! Well, anyways, I express my wry amusement and my wishes and assurances that he will grow out of it. He goes on to tell me his delight with the occupation and I mention that such entertainment is merely momentary till you realize what exactly you are doing. He says that maybe I’m right and bids his farewells.
It is then I realize that it’s probably because I introduced him to internet forums at such a young age that he has become what he is. *Facepalm*
No comments:
Post a Comment